Marriage / Civil Union LicensesAll marriage licenses appplications are accepted:
During normal business hours...by appointment only.
. Please call 856-767-7777 EXT. 304.
Applications must be filed at least 1-2 weeks before your wedding date.
- The applicants apply for a license in the Borough of Berlin if either applicant resides in Berlin Borough or both reside out of state and are marrying in Berlin.
- A photo driver's license or passport is required for both applicants.
- The following information is required at the time the application is being made:
- Date of the marriage
- Where the marriage is taking place
- Who is performing the marriage and their address
- If widowed need date of death of spouse and name.
- If divorced, you must provide date of your divorce and name of ex.
- Parents place of birth
- The Borough of Berlin's registrar requires applicants to bring their own witness.
- The processing fee of $28.00 is paid on the day of application. Cash, check or money order excepted.
- There is a mandatory seventy-two (72) hour waiting period before a marriage license may be issued.
- Once issued and signed by the registrar, the license is only good for thirty (30) days.
- Your officiant performing the ceremony must return the completed marriage /civil union license to the municipality where the marriage took place. The license will always be retained in that municipality.
- Certified copies with a raised seal are available upon request from the municipality you were married in. The Borough's fee is $10.00 for each certified copy.
- All marriage applications are completed by appointment. Please call the clerk's office to schedule.
- Berlin Borough's records for births only go back to 1927, therefore, if a record is needed before then, you must apply to the State of New Jersey.
- In order to obtain a birth record, you must provide proof of your identity.
- Records for births from the Borough of Berlin may only be requested if the birth occurred in Berlin.
- Records may be obtained by family members only with proof of relationship.
- Death records are kept in the Borough of Berlin if the death occurred in Berlin.
- In order to obtain a death record, you must provide proof of your identity and must be a family member or informant permissible by State Statute to obtain the record.
- Certified copies of death records are not given out to any divorcee unless they were the informant on the death record.
- Explanation of your request
- Names and dates clearly noted
- Must meet all the requirements listed above for each
- Self addressed stamped envelope
- Number of documents you are requesting
- ALL CERTIFIED COPIES REQUESTED BY MAIL ARE $10.00 EACH AND MUST BE PAID IN THE FORM OF MONEY ORDER, CERTIFIED CHECK or PERSONAL CHECKS.