Marriage / Civil Union LicensesAll marriage licenses appplications are accepted:
Tues, Wed, Thurs 9am-1pm by appointment only.
. Please call 856-767-7777 EXT. 303.
Applications must be filed at least 1-2 weeks before your wedding date.
- The applicants apply for a license in the Borough of Berlin if either applicant resides in Berlin.
- A photo driver's license or passport is required for both applicants.
- If widowed, you must provide a copy of the death certificate.
- The following information is required at the time the application is being made:
- Date of the marriage
- Where the marriage is taking place
- Who is performing the marriage and their address
- If divorced, you must provide a copy of your divorce decree paperwork
- Parents place of birth
- The Borough of Berlin's registrar requires applicants to bring their own witness.
- If applicants are getting married in the Borough of Berlin but are from out of state, the application is made in Berlin and the marriage may only be performed in the State of New Jersey.
- The processing fee of $28.00 is paid on the day of application.
- There is a mandatory seventy-two (72) hour waiting period before a marriage license may be issued.
- Once issued and signed by the registrar, the license is only good for thirty (30) days.
- Your officiant performing the ceremony must return the completed marriage /civil union license to the municipality where the marriage took place. The license will always be retained in that municipality.
- Certified copies with a raised seal are available upon request from the municipality you were married in. The Borough's fee is $10.00 for each certified copy.
- All marriage applications are completed by appointment. Please call the clerk's office to schedule.
- Berlin Borough's records for births only go back to 1927, therefore, if a record is needed before then, you must apply to the State of New Jersey.
- In order to obtain a birth record, you must provide proof of your identity.
- Records for births from the Borough of Berlin may only be requested if the birth occurred in Berlin.
- Records may be obtained by family members only with proof of relationship.
- Death records are kept in the Borough of Berlin if the death occurred in Berlin.
- In order to obtain a death record, you must provide proof of your identity and must be a family member or informant permissible by State Statute to obtain the record.
- Certified copies of death records are not given out to any divorcee unless they were the informant on the death record.
- Explanation of your request
- Names and dates clearly noted
- Must meet all the requirements listed above for each
- Self addressed stamped envelope
- Number of documents you are requesting
- ALL CERTIFIED COPIES REQUESTED BY MAIL ARE $10.00 EACH AND MUST BE PAID IN THE FORM OF MONEY ORDER OR CERTIFIED CHECK. PERSONAL CHECKS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.